Amsterdam is turning rainbow for a visit of the Russian president Putin. The council of the city of Amsterdam has decided to hang out the gay pride flag on all council owned buildings and offices, in protest to Russia’s new anti-gay law.
there’s several of these as well;
pretty sure Amsterdam is now the sass capital of the world
this is the actual best thing
They think she might be in the West London area so spread the word out to Ealing/Kew/Richmond/Brentford etc
She’s only 14 years old and has health concerns and is thought to be ‘very vulnerable’
Girls pose by a jail that recalls the witch trials of 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts. Photo taken in 1945.
I recently learned that the water in Salem was contaminated with the fungus from which LSD is derived and a legitimate theory for the whole thing is that everyone in the town was tripping balls
This might be the greatest thing ive ever seen on the internet
We did a whole massive thing on this in history. I believe the fungus in question is called Ergot and it’s terrifying. It makes your muscles spasm so when they had seizures that was the reason, not because they were possessed. One woman had to be strapped to her bed, she was seizing so bad. And, like ‘theybuildbuildings’ said, it had the same effects as LSD; as soon as you touch it, let alone consume it, it messes with your entire system. The worst thing is, you practically always had a bad trip. Many complained about bugs crawling under their skin or monsters emerging from the shadows to scratch and bite at them until they were screaming. It was a horrendous thing and the worst part is, Ergot is still around. It grows on crops and, if your wheat isn’t properly treated, it can be eaten and you’ll most likely experience the same as the women of Salem.
god i love history
This is hella cool and almost correct…
The effects on the people of Salem were probably from consuming bread with the fungus in it, not from contaminated water. And apparently rye is way more commonly affected than wheat. In fact, often the members of the clergy were able to afford nicer bread made from wheat and thus were not as commonly affected.
You don’t go on a spasm-y trip just by touching it. You have to consume it for weeks, which results in chronic poisoning. ( If you stop eating it early enough, you may recover. So when people suffering from these “demonic possessions” took refuge in churches and stopped eating low-grade rye bread they were sometimes miraculously healed.
More interesting facts:
Ergot poisoning can result in convulsions & hallucinations, or it can cause gangrene, depending on which group of active alkaloids are present. (Horrifying, either way.) It killed a lot of people in Europe in the Middle Ages.
In Europe, often there was a strong correlation between wet summers (which provide ideal conditions for ergot) and reports of witchcraft/ possession. And in Norway and Scotland, records of witch persecution are only found in areas where rye was grown and used to make bread.
And I just learned right now that one author dude translated the word “Beowulf” as “barley-wolf” which could indicate a connection to ergot. The LSD-like effects could be a valid explanation for stories of Old Norse warriors going into the a sort of trancelike battle rage.
(this is exactly the kind of stuff my
herbology medicinal plants class is about, it’s so cool omfg. we had a lecture on ergot last week.)
be a pal and like people’s text posts. reblog their selfies. respond to their questions. even if you don’t know the answer and even if you’ve never really talked to them before. there’s nothing worse that feeling alone on a website where everyone promotes love and friendship.
HOW TO COME OUT TO YOUR PARENTS
- This is a very important topic and I haven’t seen something like this yet so I thought I’d make it. It’s actually not as complicated as you might think.
- First off, start telling friends because they will be easiest because chances are they knew and were just being polite. Generally they will be more accepting because the younger generations are more accepting than the older. If they’re true friends they will stay with you so this is the best test to see how strong and true your friendship is. If they accept it, your relationship will be much more tight because you don’t have to keep pretending anymore. This is important so you have a safety net in case something happens when you tell your parents.
- If however like in my instance they say they’ll be your friend but don’t agree please do not keep them as friends. It’s very toxic to have someone who thinks you’re wrong because you’re not. You’ll put up with years of abuse hoping for it to get easier but it won’t. It will get painfully worse.
- When having a discussion with your parents, bring up gay marriage and their view of it. Then later ask what if one of their kids was gay and see what they say. And depending on your confidence level you can decide whether or not to tell them now. This way is much less awkward than flat out dropping the “I’m Gay” bomb on them.
- If they do happen to say no, you need to find another family member or family friend help talk to your parents about it with them. As sad as it is, parents are more likely to respond to someone of authority over you. I promise there is at least one person in your family who accepts gays.
- Start surrounding yourself with other gay teens. This is the easiest way to communicate with others who have experience and mentor you about how things work. It’s the best way to start figuring out who you are.
Wow 😂 okay
Beth made me tag you. Sorry :/